Sunday, November 29, 2009

Method 6

I visited the Library of Congress site. They have a number of videos of authors. If this can be accessed at school, I will need to share this site with my ELA teachers. New York public library has a number of videos aimed at teens, but again, I don't know if these can be accessed.

I love the Sail Away with Books video. I cringed at the part with the water lapping at the bottom of the shelves, though! I can see great potential in using video to create public service advertisements for the library. I'd love to develop my own, but in the meantime, I can link to others. Lily was a great tour guide. The voice even sounded like what I expected Lily to sound like.

Favorite thing about Lester Public Library -- the staff. I was surprised at how often that was mentioned. At my school it would be the computers, a place to hang out with my friends, the books.

I know that Vade Mecum (Go With Me) was imaginary, but she stayed in the first 1/8 of the book until nighttime. Then she skips a big chunk to jump 3/4 of the way through. That was the only change that I would make. I would have evenly spaced bookmarks so that it looks like she is progressing through the book.

Great Video Blogging at ACPL is a great way to let the community know what is going on at the library. I'm not sure what an announcement for a school library would look like. Other than our special events, the students are coming in with their teacher, and they usually don't let me know what is going on far enough in advance to put together a short clip like this.

The Get Caught Reading Video is another great example of library promotion. We did a Get Caught Reading event at my library a couple years ago. We took photos, printed them, and displayed them in the library window. Everyone wanted their photos up. Even the cafeteria ladies came in to read, so that we would take their photo.

Vancover Public Library at work: They must have many branches. The only time I ever get that many books is when my RIF order arrives. I should follow the book from the time it arrives until it is shelved. The secretary lets teachers know when books that they have ordered come in, and the teachers expect to be able to check them out from me the same day.

Weigle Info Commons Music Video: I couldn't get it to play.

Buffalo & Erie County Library: Nice. Slow enough that you can see what it is, fast enough that you aren't viewing something that you aren't interested in. The menu bar lets you stop on the slides that are of interest to you.

Middle County Public Library: Couldn't find the video, but they have a nice website.
The Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenbur County: Couldn't find the video here either.
Washington-Centerville Public Library: Nice slide show of new titles.
Gail Borden Public Library: Also has a slide show of Good Reads.
Harris County Public Library: Nice slideshow of resources available to different segments of the population.
Juneau Public Libraries: Found the podcasts.
Annapolis Valley Regional Library: Link no longer worked.

I selected a video and discovered that it was really easy to add to my blog. I discussed the reasons in a comment afterwards. I think that the use of student made book trailers would be an excellent way to increase the interest in reading. I see a steady decrease through 6th, 7th and 8th grades, and am looking for ways to draw them to reading.

I would like to film students doing booktalks. Last year, I had volunteers introduce books that they had recently read and give their presentation over the public address system following the morning announcements. We only kept it up for about 3 weeks. I think that it would be easier to tape them and put it on the library homepage, assuming that we have parent permission of course.

I like YouTube. My daughter and I have watched countless videos on here. Mostly of songs. I have cautioned her not to view anything there without me. I have made videos of her to submit for class projects. The students wanted her to post them on YouTube. She was in elementary at the time. I hope that her classmates were supervised while viewing that site. I was very happy to hear about Teacher Tube, because I see the educational possibilities, but there is just too much inappropriate content in YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment