Sunday, November 29, 2009

Method 7

Method 7

1. I am glad that they finally got rid of those dots in the address. I set one up as part of a library training several years ago, but never used it after that mostly because the web address was too hard to remember.
Set up delicious account: http://delicious.com/TinaBillman (lucky to have an unusual name).

2. Found Thunder Bay's Delicious bookmarks and bookmarked their list. Also added one for Library Thing. In an offtask activity, added an RSS feed for one of Library Journals topics.

3. Watched it. Learned how to use Technorati to find top tags and blogs.

4. Selected a few libraries at random, and viewed their bookmarks.

5. Wow, 2893 have marked 23 things. It is on the list of the 5 most recent. The second most popular item was on Male grooming.

6. The most commonly used tags also seem to be the ones that people are most likely to use when searching for items. It is a positive thing that they are using natural language.

7. I can immediately see the advantage of using Delicious or a similar site for personal bookmarking.

I see potential for library use. I need to play around with it more. Right now, I have links for the sites that teachers and students use most frequently on the library homepage. I can see how the tagging would help them to locate the particular site that they need, so I will set up a delicious account specifically for my library where I can put in descriptions of the different links.

Oooh. I tried to click the Several Habits of Wildly Successful Delicious Users and got a "You don't have permission to access /2005/12/the_several_hab.html on this server." message.

No comments:

Post a Comment